Sat Kriya is fundamental to Kundalini Yoga. It is recommended to practice Sat Kriya every day for at least 3 minutes. General physical health is improved because all the internal organs receive a gentle rhythmic massage from this exercise. The heart gets stronger from the rhythmic up-and-down of blood pressure you generate from the pumping motion of the Navel Point.
If you have time for nothing else, make this kriya part of your daily promise to yourself to keep the body a clean and vital temple of God. The rhythmic contraction and relaxation produces waves of energy that circulate, energize, and heal the body.
- Sit on the heels in Rock Pose, knees together.
- Stretch the arms over the head with elbows straight, until the arms hug the sides of the head.
Interlace all the fingers except the index fingers. Traditionally men or male-identifying people cross the right thumb over the left, and women or female-identifying folks cross the left over right. Use whichever configuration feels right for you.
- The spine stays still and straight. This is neither a spinal flex nor a pelvic thrust.
- Remain firmly seated on the heels throughout the motions of the kriya.
Locks & Mantra:
- Begin to chant Sat Naam with a constant rhythm of about 8 times per 10 seconds.
- As you pull the navel in and up toward the spine, chant Sat from the Navel Point. Feel it as a pressure from the Third Chakra.
- With the sound Naam, relax the belly.
- As you continue in a steady rhythm, the root and diaphragm locks are automatically pulled. The steady waves of effort from the navel gradually enlist the movement of the greater abdomen. The breath regulates itself - no breath focus is necessary.
The focus of the sound Naam can be either at the Navel Point or at the Brow Point (the point where the eyebrows meet at the root of the nose; the area that corresponds to the Sixth Chakra).
Time: Continue for 3 - 31 minutes.
- Inhale and gently squeeze the muscles from the buttocks all the way up along the spine.
- Hold it briefly as you concentrate on the area just above the top of the head.
- Exhale completely.
- Inhale, exhale totally and hold the breath out as you apply a firm mahabandh - contract the lower pelvis, lift the diaphragm, lock in the chin, and squeeze all the muscles from the buttocks up to the neck.
- Hold the breath out for 5 to 20 seconds according to your comfort and capacity.
- Inhale and relax.
- If you practice this as a complete kriya in itself, the relaxation is ideally twice the length of time as you practiced Sat Kriya. (If practiced as part of a kriya, follow the relaxation times specified.)
This exercise works directly on stimulating and channelizing the kundalini energy, so it must always be practiced with the mantra Sat Naam. Sat Kriya strengthens the entire sexual system and stimulates its natural flow of energy. This relaxes phobias about sexuality. It allows you to control the insistent sexual impulse by re-channelizing sexual energy to creative and healing activities in the body.
© 3HO. This kriya is courtesy of YB Teachings, LLC. Used with permission.